Ifairbay.com is committed to protecting the personal information entrusted to it. Ifairbay.com has a strong commitment to maintaining the security and integrity of personal information within our care. We endorse The Data Protection Act, 2012 enacted by the Parliament of the Republic of Ghana to protect the privacy and personal data of individuals.
- the personal information we collect and how we use that information
- when we might disclose your personal information; and
- how we keep and protect your personal information.
What is Personal information?
“Personal information” is information that can be associated with a specific person that could be used to identify that specific person, either from the data directly or from that data combined with other information that we have, or are likely to have, access to. Personal information doesn’t include anonymous or aggregated information that can no longer be used to identify a specific person.
Why We Collect Information
We collect, process and retain personal information from you and any devices (including mobile devices) you use when you: register for an account with us, use our Services, give us information on a web form, update or add information to your account, join community discussions, chats or dispute resolution or when you otherwise contact us.
Use and Retain of Information
We use your personal information to:
- provide and improve our Services,
- give you a personalised experience on our sites,
- contact you,
- provide customer service,
- provide you with personalised advertising and marketing,
- including marketing from third parties, and detect,
- prevent and investigate fraud and
- other illegal activities.
Your personal information is kept from active accounts as long as it is needed for our operations. We also keep personal information from closed accounts when we’re legally required to and also to stop fraud, collect outstanding fees, troubleshoot problems, help with investigations, enforce our Terms and Conditions and take other actions under applicable national laws.
How We Share Your Personal Information?
We may share your personal information with other organisations in our group and third parties to provide you with our Services, to comply with the law, to enforce our policies, to enable our marketing and advertising activities, or to prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud or other illegal activities. We don’t give your personal information to third parties for their marketing and advertising purposes without your permission.
We ensure your personal information is protected by using both technical and administrative measures.
We collect information you give us including:
- When you register for an account: Information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses or user ID (where applicable) when you register for an account with us
- When we verify you or your account: we may collect and process information (as permitted by law) to authenticate you or your account, or to verify the information that you provided to us
- When you transact on or use our Services: such as when you post an ad, reply to an ad, communicate with us or other users, information you provide for the Services that you use or during a transaction or other transaction-based content. We may also collect your financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) if you buy a product from us or are required to pay fees to us
- When you use our community: such as when you submit a web form or participate in community discussions or chats
- When access your account: such as updating or adding information to your account, adding items to alerts lists and saving searches. Sometimes you may also give us your age, gender, interests and favourites
- When you contact us: such as through a web form, chat or dispute resolution or when we otherwise communicate with each other. We may also record our calls with you (if we have your consent to do so).
We collect information using cookies, web beacons and similar technologies including:
- Information about the pages you view, the links you click and other actions you take on our Services, or within our advertising or email content. For more information about our use of these technologies and how to control them, click here
Information we collect from other sources including:
- Information we get from third parties which we may use to supplement your account information. For example, we may collect and use demographic information that is publically available, additional contact information, credit check information and information from credit bureaus, as allowed by applicable national laws.
- Information from social media sites when you use those sites to register, share information or connect to your account. Those sites may automatically give us access to some personal information they hold about you (e.g., content you viewed, content you liked, and information about the advertisements you were shown or clicked on, etc.). If you give us access to any account with video content, we may share your video viewing with, or collect information about your video viewing from, third-party social media sites for at least two years or until you withdraw consent. You control the personal information we have access to through your privacy settings on the social media site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access. When you grant us access to information held by social media sites you agree that we may collect, use and retain it in accordance with this Privacy Notice
- Information other users may provide about you. If another user gives us information about you, they must tell you about our collection, use, disclose and retention policies before giving us the information. They must also get your explicit consent before giving us your information
How we use and retain your information
We use your personal information to provide, improve and personalise our Services
Your personal information allows us to:
- Provide you with access to and use of our Services as well as access to your history, internal messages and other features we may provide
- Offer you site content that includes items and services that you may like
- Provide you with credit offers and opportunities on behalf of other members of our corporate family and their financial institution partners. However, we don’t share financial information without your explicit consent
- Customise, measure and improve our Services
- Provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information
- To provide you with location-based services (such as advertising, search results and other personalised content)
We use your personal information to contact you about your account:
We may contact you via Gumtree My Messages, email, telephone, SMS messages or postal mail:
- To give you customer support about your account such as to troubleshoot problems, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed to us, or to get your opinion through surveys
- For other reasons such as to enforce our Tems and Conditions or policies and any other agreement we may have with you
We use your personal information to personalise our advertising and marketing, including to:
- Personalise, measure and improve our advertising
- Contact you, either via email, telephone, SMS text messages or postal mail to offer you discounts and special promotions and to let you know about our Services and those of our corporate family (if you have consented to this contact). Message and data rates may apply
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates and promotional offers
We use your personal information for legal compliance reasons, including to:
- Prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud, security breaches, potentially prohibited or illegal activities
Retention of personal information:
If your account is active, we will keep your personal information as long as we need it for our operations. We may also keep personal information from closed accounts to comply with national laws, stop fraud, collect fees owed, assist with any investigation, enforce our Terms and Conditions and take other actions under applicable national laws. If we no longer need your personal information, we securely dispose of it.
We disclose your information to our Third Party Partners who may use it to:
We may disclose your information to third-parties:
- third party service providers who help us provide our Services, payment processing services, assist us in providing customised advertising, help us with the prevention, detection, mitigation and investigation of potentially illegal acts, violations of our Terms and Conditions fraud and/or security breaches, bill collection, affiliate and rewards programs and other business operations
- third party financial institution partners who may offer financial products to you, for them to provide joint content and services (such as registration, transactions and customer support). These third party financial institution partners will use your personal information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services
- Other third parties when you have given consent to share your information via ifairbay.com
We may disclose your information to law enforcement and other parties in connection with the law, including:
- law enforcement or governmental agencies, or authorised third-parties, in response to a verified request regarding a criminal investigation, alleged or suspected illegal activity, or any other activity that may expose us, you or any of our users to legal risk
- credit agencies or bureaus as authorised by applicable national laws
- third parties commencing, or involved in, a legal proceeding if they provide us with a subpoena, court order or similar legal document
- other third parties to comply with our legal requirements, enforce our Terms and Conditions, respond to claims that a listing or other content violates the rights of others, or if we otherwise believe in good faith that the disclosure is needed to prevent imminent physical harm, harm to property, financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity
We protect your information using technical and administrative security measures. Our safeguards include firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to data centres and information access authorisation controls. If you believe your account has been abused, please contact us immediately.